Friday, July 09, 2010

A Change in Plans

So very quickly my schedule for the fall has changed. I had told my principal a few weeks ago about not coming back next year. I just figured she would say, "Ok, good luck with everything." But no she said, "well, why don't you just teach the first quarter and then we can have a sub teach the rest of the year." By the way the first quarter is two months. That totally threw me off. I had completely checked out of teaching. I even pretty much packed up my entire room. I know you might be thinking that it doesn't sound fair to the kids. I have been struggling with that. Although, kids adjust easier than you think. They will probably forget all about me. And that is just fine.
I just figured it would be better to be busy for a few months and earn some more money than to be at home alone. Six months would be a long time to not work.
We have a family reunion the entire first week of teacher meetings before school starts. So I told her I wouldn't be there, and then I figured she would say oh, well then never mind. But she said, "oh no problem I totally understand". NICE! Teacher meetings are the worst anyway. So I would show up the first day of school; a little crazy. THEN I thought, oh no she thinks I am coming back the next year. So I asked her if she thought that, and she said, "Oh no I figured you were planning on staying home with your kids for a while."
So it's pretty much a sweet deal. I am trying to check back in for a few months. I now need to go to my classroom and organize things again.

7 comments:

Chelsea Ellingson said...

You have no idea how much I wish I could have that conversation with my principal! Not that I think she would respond any differently, I just want to be done teaching and I thought maybe with the arrival of this third one that I could do that for a while, but that's not really in Heavenly Father's plans for us I don't think. I'm so glad for you, though!! Motherhood is the best job you can do, but that doesn't mean that you have to sit 6 months being pregnant all by your lonesome!! Good luck with everything. :-)

Jena said...

The students will be fine :) I taught them for 6 months and they had 3 months with a sub, I went back toward the end of the year and some of them didn't even recognize me :)They are resilient :) How is the pregnancy going?

Milmonster said...

Not come back for the rest of the year!?!?! Are you kidding!?!?! You go girl. Good thing you got a new principal:)

Danalin said...

Sweet deal! I think it's so smart of you to take it. We moved to WA when I was 6 months pregnant with Max and I didn't work. One month would have been nice, but three was way too long. I'm SO glad that it doesn't effect you coming to the reunion...phew! Can't wait to see you, mama.

Linde said...

Wow! That is so great for you!! It is because you are such a great teacher!!

Good luck getting ready. :)

Emily said...

Hip hip hooray! That is fun news!!! PS I can NOT wait for you to find out what your having... I need to narrow down the bazillion shower ideas I have in my head!
Lets get together!

Kendria said...

Bummer...how's the belly lookin?