Wednesday, December 08, 2010

The Babe

Melanie Ann Foster arrived on Sunday December 5th at 11:40 a.m. She weighed 7 pounds 13 oz. Actually smaller than I anticipated, but that is still a good sized baby. Everything went well. On Saturday night at 1:30 I woke up with contractions. We timed them and they were 5 minutes apart so we called and went to the hospital. The contractions got worse and worse. Pretty much the minute we got there the nurse asked if I wanted an epidural. I was thinking well... yeah... but it's only been 3 hours. I was worried it would slow down labor,(and that it was a little wimpy) but she said it wouldn't. I decided to do it. AND oh my goodness was I a happy lady. Holy cow, honestly I don't know how people do it naturally. I applaud anyone who does. That will probably never be me. I did have a patch that it didn't reach, but it actually helped me know when to push because I knew when I was having a contraction so it all worked out. I was in labor for ten hours. And I was progressing great. I pushed for an hour. And it wasn't too bad until the very end. OH MY GOODNESS, I thought if I had an epidural that it wouldn't hurt that bad. I was very wrong. After she crowned it was the worst pain of my life. But the moment she came out it was pure joy. What an experience. It's crazy.
So far, she has been a dream. It's just so intense how much you love your own child. WOW. I am obsessed with her. She is the cutest. Nursing has been so great. She just latched right on, and hasn't had a problem (except when she can't stay awake) since. I love that time. Watching her little fingers touch me and grab onto my shirt kills me, it's just sooo cute. Her little body melts my heart. I also love love her hair. I think it will all fall out and maybe change colors, but I love it right now. Her cry is a very cute cry too.
The first night we were home was a rough one. I got one hour of sleep. But then last night was great. She does not like sleeping flat on her back yet, so we have her in the swing and she loves that.
We had our first doctor's appointment today and she is doing great. She does have jaundice I am sure you can tell. We have to go back tomorrow to see if she needs her own little tanning bed. So we will see.



10 comments:

Olivia said...

ooooh! First comment! Kristen, she is SO SO SO beautiful!!! I will babysit for you ANYTIME! :) I'm so glad to hear that everything is going well, the labor and nursing and everything! So happy for you and Drew!!!!

Unknown said...

GAH! she is gorgeous. and Kristen-you look so good!!

congrats congrats. so happy for you two. it's a foster baby!

Danalin said...

I was in tears and laughing and filled with so much JOY reading this post (so motherhood has made me a little hormonal...especially when I read about another mom entering the club). I thought of you as I was going to bed on Saturday night and thought, "I wonder if Kristen will have the baby tomorrow." My labor started in the wee hours of Sunday morning with both Max and Kelly. I am so, so thrilled for you that she is here. She really is so gorgeous...her coloring and hair remind me of Kelly. Intense is the perfect way to describe your feelings for your children. Love that. Such an amazing time. Such a long comment, I know. I'm totally rambling. I just need to call you...let's Skype this weekend for sure. LOVE YOU! Congratulations!

Jessica said...

Congratulations!!!! She's so beautiful :)

Jami said...

she is so beautiful! I wish i was there to see her. Keep posting pictures. I love all that hair.

Christa said...

What a pretty baby! I asked Brent a few days ago if you had had your baby yet and a few minutes later he got an email about it. I am so happy for you guys. You will both be amazing parents! If you guys want any visitors around Christmas let us know. We would love to see her if you are up for it!

Ruth said...

Congratulations! She is very cute.

Goose said...

I just want to say that I am the luckiest husband and father in the whole world. I have heard people talk about birth and how crazy, hard, and amazing it is. Let me just say it was unbelievable to see Kristen go through it and just as amazing to hear that first cry from Melanie. Actually amazing doesn't do it justice, it was an experience that can't be put into words. I love them both!!!!

And if your wondering, yes I did cry much more than expected.

Milmonster said...

So beautiful! You are such as great mom already. Can't wait for our little girls to meet!

Gloria said...

Congrats Kristen!!! She is absolutely precious!!! What a wonderful Xmas present!! :) :) Enjoy every minute, and don't worry the sleeping just gets better and better! :)