Monday, July 09, 2007

Calm Before The Storm

Last April I was offered a job as a third grade teacher at Spring Creek Elementary. I have been so excited ever since, but I have to admit it hasn't seemed real that I am actually going to be a teacher with my own class. My greatest nightmare is the kids realizing that they out number me, and take over (I actually had this dream a few weeks ago).
Even though I am a little nervous about having the right classroom management, or the fact that I don't really know what I am doing, or that I am working with all women (let's be honest that's a lot of hormones), I still feel at home in the classroom and I know that I will fall in love with my students right away, even the tough ones.
One thing that I have learned is that there needs to be mutual respect. If I don't respect them they won't respect me. I don't believe in talking down to students or raising my voice. I told that to a teacher and she laughed at me, but I know that it can be done with a little patience and a little love. Here are a few pictures for your enjoyment. I am doing a camping theme, maybe you never had a theme in your classroom, but I thought it would be fun and the kids really get into it. A lot of things will have to do with camping. There is still more decorating to come, but this is all I can do before I leave for a while.

This is my school!


This is outside my classroom, I am going to take pictures of all the kids and put them up.


This is mean Mrs. Foster
This is the tent I have in the room
for the kids to read in or play in
when they earn enough "camper cash."


Where's Waldo? (Drew)










I have a campng chair for when I do
read-alouds, I will call it, "sittin around
the campfire."


Here is one of my patriotic students


This is my dest and behind it is a fake tree Drew constructed.


10 comments:

Jeff said...

Kristen,

It looks awesome. You are going to be such a great teacher. It's great to hear to speak so hopefully about your kids and classroom. Hold on to that hope and don't let the cynical "old-timers" talk you out of it. You youngsters are the lifeblood that will keep our schools and communities strong and vibrant.

Goose said...

All I know is that tree is totally sweet. You are going to be one heck of a good teacher and those kids are lucky to have you.

Elizabeth said...

Sign me up for the 3rd grade all over again! J/K. It's a good thing you don't believe in being mean because your "mean look" needs some work. :)

Danalin said...

If Max was going to be in third grade I would fly him to Utah everyday for school. Who wouldn't want to be in Mrs. Foster's class?! It looks so great - the kids are going to love the theme and love you. You will seriously be the teacher all of the other kids wish they could have. I'm not just saying that because I'm your sister-in-law and I think you rock! :) You are just amazing.

Wendi said...

I'm sure that teaching is going to go very well for you, Kristen. I like your camping theme idea, and the tree of course is the bomb. :-D I'm looking forward to your future posts about your work...you're going to be great, lady! :-)

Mark said...

What a classroom! Good luck with the 3rd graders. Give 'em heck! Or cookies and milk. Or a spanking.

You'll do great.

(I think the tree looks fake . . .)

Angie said...

Okay, that is awesome. I love the theme and I'm so glad you posted the pics. I'm sure the kids will get really into it and have a lot of fun.

Don't give up hope with your not raising your voice thing. I believe it is possible. I don't have that much teaching experience...just one year. But my experience was that if I did get angry, it didn't do much to help the situation. All it did was make me frazzled and hurt the learning atmosphere in the room. Anyway, I'm sure you're going to be a great teacher! You'll have to keep us updated about future successes and stories.

Tyler said...

I wouldn't get angry, just get even. I mean, they are a bunch of wimpy little third graders. I could take all 25 of them at once in my sleep. Unless they had weapons.

It's a good thing schools these days are gun-free, drug-free zones...

Matthew said...

I have heard that the tree was "weak" from Mark, but I now think it's perfect. It's for little kids, not a botanical exhibition.

Congratulations on your new career Kristen. I hope you stick at it. Maybe one day they will pay teachers what they are worth. Until then, I think it's great that you've gotten into this field. Bravo!

Dad said...

Kristen,
There is probably only one man on earth happier for you and your new job than me and that would be your husband. Now he can mouch off of you instead of the old man!! So glad you guys will be able to eat next year.

You are going to make a seriously good teacher. I can tell because I have a seriously good teacher for a wife and I see the same kind of creativity, enthusisiam and love for kids that she has for kids in you. You will have some stressful days, no doubt, but at the end of the year you will ache for those kids that will be moving on to the fourth grade, prepared by Mrs. Foster for the next level.

Good luck and I can't wait to see your room when we are out there. What a great idea for a theme!!

Love,
Mickey

P.S. I could tell the tree was fake right off the bat, but the kids won't know. I had Drew believing in the tooth fairy till he was about 10 or so!!!